Skip to content ↓
Woodrush High School

Woodrush Training Consortium

Discover your Potential

Frequently Asked Questions


What qualifications do I need to apply for teacher training in the UK?
You need a degree and GCSE English and Maths at grade C/4 or above(or equivalent qualification).
Different teacher training providers have their own entry criteria. Often, they stipulate a class of degree or that the degree is in the subject you wish to teach.

Apart from qualifications, what are teacher trainers looking for?
Essentially, teachers work with young people. Therefore, teacher trainers are looking for evidence that a candidate has relevant experience of working with young people in the age group they wish to teach. This could be in a voluntary capacity and might involve work outside a school context, such as with a youth group, Scouts, Sports team etc. However, recent experience of working in a classroom in the age range you wish to teach is preferable. Many of our successful candidates are already working in schools in support roles such as a Teaching Assistant.

Can I do the (Salaried) Programme?
Unfortunately this route is not offered by Woodrush TC, however we offer many unsalaried programmes. 

Do I need to visit schools before I apply?
The amount of experience you will have gained in schools will vary depending on your circumstances. Fundamentally, the more experience you have working/volunteering in schools the better. However, we know that this isn’t always possible, especially if you are considering a career change into teaching. Existing work commitments may make extended experience in schools difficult. Different providers have different requirements in this regard. 

I have qualifications from overseas– how do I find out if they are equivalent to UK qualifications?
You can contact NARIC via their website. They will provide you with documentation to say that your qualifications are equivalent to ones in the UK. You need to do this in order to apply for teacher training. Please click on the link below: 


I have a teaching qualification from abroad. Do I need to do a teaching course to be able to teach in the UK?
You do not have to do a full teacher training course in the UK.You will need to complete an Overseas Teacher Training Programme (OTTP).  Woodrush TC does not offer this qualification.

What’s the difference between QTS and a PGCE?
QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) means that you have met the statutory requirements (The Teachers’ Standards 2012) for teaching in the UK.You need QTS to be able to teach in maintained schools in the UK.

A PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) is an additional academic qualification which includes QTS. Some PGCE courses offer credits towards a Masters qualification.  

Which is the best route into teaching?

There is no “best” route into teaching. All the courses we are involved in the selection, delivery and assessment of are well respected by employers.The question is which is the best route into teaching for you?  This will depend on your own personal situation and experience.

How much does it cost to train to be a teacher?
The cost of PGCE, PGDipEd or School led (non-salaried) courses varies. Most Universities charge £9250 for these courses but up to date details can be found on their website. There are bursaries for non-salaried course candidates. The amount the bursary is worth will depend on the subject you wish to train in and your class of degree.

What will my teacher training course be like?
Your experience of teacher training will be different depending on your preferred route. However, there are key things that will unite all teacher training courses. You will spend time learning the theory of teaching and finding out what the different parts of the job are, as well as developing skills and strategies related to planning, assessment, delivery, reporting and pastoral care.  The other part of your training will be spent in the classroom putting the theory into practice.  You will have the support of a subject mentor, class teachers and professional mentors within school to give you feedback on your practice and to help you set targets to ensure you can meet the Teachers’ Standards (necessary to achieve QTS).

Teaching is one of the most rewarding careers there is. Some would argue that it is a vocation, rather than a job. The rigours and workload of a teacher training course should not be underestimated. Some people in the past have seen coming into teaching as an easy option –‘those who can do, those who can’t, teach’. The reality of the situation could not be further from the truth. As with all things that are really worth doing in life, learning to teach is very hard work. You will need good organisation skills, determination and resilience, and be prepared to work long hours, both in the evenings and at weekends. For those people who choose to do it, it is one of the most rewarding ways of spending your working life, and well worth the effort.

What happens at the end of my training course?
If you have met all of the Teachers’ Standards at an appropriate level, you will be awarded QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).  This is provisional until you have completed your NQT Induction Period. If you have completed a PGDipEd or PGCE course, you will apply for jobs that are advertised as suitable for an NQT in a school able to support you through your Induction Period. If you have followed the Regional Hub route (formerly School Direct) into teaching with Woodrush TC, the school that you have trained in might be able to offer you a position either in their school or in another school that is part of the Woodrush TC.

How do I apply for a teacher training position at Woodrush TSA?