All schools are encouraged to have in place a Home School Agreement. Our Home School Agreement was originally formed in partnership with parents and, in recent years, it has been amended after parents have made some further useful and helpful suggestions.
Please read the following information carefully and please keep this document in an accessible place during your son or daughter’s education at Woodrush High School.
Home School Agreement
1) Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will:
- See that my child maintains good attendance (96% and above) and arrives before 8.30am each day (apart from Wednesday morning where a later start of 8.55am is required);
- Ensure that my child is wearing the correct uniform as outlined in the school’s uniform policy;
- See that my child is properly equipped for school;
- Let the school know about any concerns or problems that might affect my child’s work or behaviour;
- Support the school’s aims, ethos, policies and guidelines for behaviour and bullying and encourage my child to follow them;
- Support and reinforce sanctions given by the school in terms of misbehaviour;
- Attend parents’ evening and discussions about my child’s progress;
- Inform the school when my child is absent from school on the first day of their absence;
- Agree any planned school absence by my child in advance with the school (term time holidays will not be authorised);
- Work in partnership with the school and outside agencies to support my child’s progress and well-being;
- Take an interest in my child’s school work, looking at their exercise books and the school’s virtual learning environment regularly;
- Encourage my child to participate in the extra-curricular opportunities offered by the school;
- Acknowledge that, as a school, we do not advise that students bring mobile phones to school and we accept no liability for loss, damage or theft of mobile phones;
- Acknowledge that any communication with your child during the school day should be made through the school reception;
- Communicate with all staff at Woodrush High School in a respectful calm and civilised manner.
- Communicate any concerns about my child and their education or well-being at school through the appropriate pastoral channels and not on social media or online forums.
2) Staff will:
- Provide the best possible teaching and learning opportunities;
- Ensure the safety of every child is given priority and that a caring, safe and supportive environment is provided that promotes learning and well-being;
- Guide students towards becoming inquisitive, independent and taking ownership of their own learning;
- Reward students for their success;
- Contact parents if there is a problem with attendance, punctuality, uniform or equipment;
- Let parents know about any concerns or problems that affect their child’s work or behaviour;
- Ensure that lessons are not interrupted by poor behaviour;
- Report to parents on your child’s progress;
- Set, mark and monitor independent study and provide facilities for children to do independent study in school;
- Arrange parents’ evenings during which progress will be discussed;
- Keep parents informed about school activities through regular letters home, news sheets and notices about special events;
- Ensure that the school behaviour and bullying policies are consistently applied;
- Monitor pupils’ behaviour, taking fair and consistent action if necessary and informing parents/carers of any concerns;
- Help students leave school well prepared and ready to make the most of future career/educational opportunities;
- Listen to parents/guardians and work in partnership with them.
3) Students will:
- Attend regularly and punctually and with a positive attitude;
- Come to school prepared to work, with the correct equipment and the correct uniform at all times, including at the beginning and the end of the school day;
- Respect other members of the Woodrush community;
- Accept that bullying, intolerance and discrimination are unacceptable in our school;
- Ensure they do not disrupt the learning of others;
- Follow staff instructions immediately without questioning;
- Ensure their mobile phone is switched off during the school day and kept out of sight;
- Conduct themselves appropriately in lessons, between lessons, during break, lunch and on their way to and from school;
- Ensure proper and safe use of the school ICT systems as outlined in the acceptable usage policy for ICT;
- Remain within the permitted recreational areas of the school during break and lunch times;
- Be positive ambassadors for the school at all times;
- Respect the environment of the school and other people’s property;
- Complete all work to the highest possible standard and to the agreed deadline;
- Take responsibility for their own learning.
We require all parents and students to sign the Home School Agreement. Please be aware that advice from the Government, via the Department for Education (DFE), states that refusal to sign a school’s Home School Agreement does not provide exemption for any students from the rules outlined by the school.
If you would like to discuss any issues arising from the following Home School Agreement then please do not hesitate to contact us. We believe this document fairly and reasonably outlines the expectations we have as a school from our staff, our students and our parents. The aim of our Home School Agreement is to encourage consistency, equality and fairness in all matters pertaining to the school.